Vast Alaska’s Brown Bear Hunting Gear List
This gear list should help prepare you in advance.
Temperatures range from 32F to 60F
Vast Alaska proudly endorses Sitka Gear
There are many worthwhile gear makers. Use this as a guideline and a reference Pack List.
- Wader Boots Simms G3 or Chota Caney Fork or equivalent (good tread or cleats) We will be wearing these over the Tundra Hippies as lightweight hip boots.
- Tundra Hippies Or Simms Guide Wading Pants
- Good Boots: I recommend Scarpa Wrangell, Lowa Tibet GTX, Schnees, Kennetrex
- Socks: 4 pairs wool socks, I prefer Darn Tough hiking
- Sock Liners: 4 pair Wigwam Gobi
- Long Underwear Top: Sitka Gear Core Lightweight Crew Long Sleeve. Sitka Gear Heavy Weight Hoody.
- Long Underwear Bottom: Sitka Gear Core Lightweight Bottoms. Sitka Gear Heavy Weight Bottoms.
- Pants: 1 pair Mountain Pants for Spring Hunts or 1 pair Sitka Timberline Pants for October Hunts.
- Jacket: Sitka Gear Traverse Cold Weather Hoody
- Raingear: Jacket and pants or bibs. Sitka Stormfront Jacket, Sitka Stormfront Pants, or Grunden Weather Watch Pant and Grunden Weather Watch Hooded.
- Overcoat: Synthetic parka with hood like the Sitka Gear Kelvin Lite Hoody or Barneys Brooks Super Cub Jacket for Spring. For Fall Sitka Gear Kelvin Down WS Hoody or Barneys Brooks Range Jacket and Barneys Brooks Range Pants.
- Gloves: 1 pair wool or fleece
- Hat: wool or fleece
- Ball Cap
- Headlamp: Tikka XP2, Black Diamond Spot or equivalent.
- Gaitors: 1 pair Sitka Gear StormFront Gaitors
- Water Bottles: 2 32 oz. H2O Bottles -or- 32oz. Gatorade jugs
- Sleeping Bag: 15°ƒ for Spring Hunts and 0°ƒ for Fall Hunts
- Sleeping Pad Thermarest Ridgerest
- Binoculars: 10×40 with a Binocular Bra (harness system that hangs from your shoulders)
- Eye Protection: UV Sunglasses
- Rifle: 375 or larger. Controlled Round Feed and Stainless are both pluses. 2 boxes of ammunition
- Rifle Scope; 1:4, 2:7 or 3:9 close range large field of view.
- Backpack: frame or internal frame pack 5,000 cubic inches
- Toiletries: medication, toothbrush, small toothpaste, etc
Be advised cotton clothing does not wick away rain and sweat from the skin, it requires too much energy for you to get dry. Synthetic or wool fibers ONLY.
Barneys Sports Chalet – 907.561.5242 http://www.barneyssports.com is a good outlet for hunting gear. The crew can assist in your decisions on what you need for where your going. They are located in mid-town Anchorage, Alaska. They are avid Alaskan hunters and suppliers since 1963. If you need help with anything they are well versed and will give you advice or direction. Website sales and support. They are familiar with the Brown Bear Hunting Gear List and have just about everything on the list in stock.
Sitka Gear – www.sitkagear.com– The finest technical gear on the planet