Vast Alaska’s Brown Bear Hunting Gear List
This gear list should help prepare you in advance.
Temperatures range from 32F to 60F
Vast Alaska proudly endorses Sitka Gear
- Wader Boots Simms G3 or Chota Caney Fork or equivalent (good tread or cleats) https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/mens/wading-boots/g3-guide-boot-s18http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/footwear/caney-fork-wading-boot/ We will be wearing these over the Tundra Hippies.
- Tundra Hippies– http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/hippies/original-hippies/
- Good Boots: I recommend Lowa Tibet GTX , Scarpa Wrangell, Schnees, Kennetrex
- Socks: 4 pairs wool socks, I prefer Darn Tough hiking
- Sock Liners: 4 pair Wigwam Gobi
- Long Underwear: 2 pair top and bottom; wool or synthetic
- Pants: 1 pair durable synthetic or Schoeller fabric equivalent
- Shirt: 2 Long sleeve, wool or synthetic (midweight)
- Jacket: Fleece
- Raingear: Jacket and pants or bibs. SITKA GEAR, KUIU or GRUNDENS WEATHERWATCH PANTSand GRUNDENS WEATHERWATCH HOODED. https://shop.grundens.com/shop/pants-sport-fishing/gage-weather-watch-pant-camo/ https://shop.grundens.com/shop/jackets-sport-fishing/gage-weather-watch-hooded-jacket-camo/
- Overcoat: Synthetic parka with hood
- Gloves: 1 pair wool or fleece
- Hat: wool or fleece
- Headlamp: Tikka XP2, Black Diamond Spot or equivalent.
- Gaitors: 1 pair of Outdoor Research gaiters or equivalent
- Water Bottles: 2 32 oz. H2O Bottles -or- 32oz. Gatorade jugs
- Sleeping Bag: 15°ƒ or lower (Synthetic)
- Sleeping Pad Thermarest Ridgerest
- Binoculars: 10×40 with a Binocular Bra (harness system that hangs from your shoulders)
- Eye Protection: UV Sunglasses
- Rifle: 375 or larger. 2 boxes of ammunition
- Backpack: frame or internal frame pack 5,000 cubic inches
- Toiletries: medication, toothbrush, small toothpaste, etc
Be advised cotton clothing does not wick away rain and sweat from the skin, it requires too much energy for you to get dry. Synthetic or wool fibers ONLY.
Barneys Sports Chalet 907.561.5242 http://www.barneyssports.com is a good outlet for hunting gear. The crew can assist in your decisions on what you need for where your going. They are located in mid-town Anchorage, Alaska. They are avid Alaskan hunters and suppliers since 1963. If you need help with anything they are well versed and will give you advice or direction. Website sales and support.
Sitka Gear – www.sitkagear.com– The finest technical gear on the planet