Vast Alaska proudly supports Sitka Gear
Remember this is a back packing hunt and we will be on the move, camping in different locations. Extreme weight should be avoided. This gear list should help prepare you in advance.
- Hunting License – buy online @ https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/Store/
- Locking Tag – buy online @ (allow time for delivery-mail) https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/Store/
- Awarded Permit Paperwork
- Good Boots: I recommend Lowa Hunter EVO, Scarpa Wrangell, LaSportiva Glacier
- Socks: 3 pairs wool socks, I prefer Darn Tough®™ hiking
- Sock Liners: 3 pair Wigwam Gobis®™
- Pants: 1 pair durable synthetic or Schoeller fabric equivalent.
- Long Underwear: (light weight) 1 top, 1 bottom; wool or synthetic
- Long Underwear: (mid-weight) 1 top, 1 bottom; wool or synthetic
- Shirt: (midweight) 1 Long sleeve, wool or synthetic
- Jacket: Fleece
- Raingear: Lightweight jacket and pants or bibs.
- Overcoat: Synthetic parka with hood.
- Gloves: 2 pair wool or fleece
- Hat: wool or fleece
- Headlamp: Tikka XP2 or Black Diamond Spot.
- Gaitors: 1 pair of Outdoor Research gaiters or equivalent.
- Water Bottles: 2 32 oz. H2O Bottles -or- 32oz. Gatorade jugs.
- Sleeping pad: 1 Thermarest Ridgerest.
- Sleeping Bag: 15°ƒ Synthetic filled mummy bag. Space is an issue.
- Binoculars: 10×40
- Eye Protection: UV Sunglasses
- Ball Cap
- Rifle: 270, 7MM, 300 win mag, 300 Ultra mag. ammunition. Know your ballistics and your rifle. 300yds is average distance.
- Trekking poles: Optional
- Backpack: frame or internal frame pack 5,500 cubic inches.
- Toiletries: medication, toothbrush, small toothpaste, etc.
- Kahtoola Microspikes: buy at http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/
If you stick to this gear list you will have everything you need. The guide has a Satellite phone or Inreach for emergencies, Aircraft Radio and a first aid kit. All good Food, Stove, Fuel, Water filters and tents will be provided.
Be advised cotton clothing does not wick away rain and sweat from the skin, it requires too much energy for you to get dry. Synthetic or wool fibers ONLY.
Barneys Sports Chalet – 907.561.5242 http://www.barneyssports.com is a good outlet for hunting gear. The crew can assist in your decisions on what you need for where your going. They are located in mid-town Anchorage, Alaska. They are avid Alaskan hunters and suppliers since 1963. If you need help with anything they are well versed and will give you advice or direction. Website sales and support.
Sitka Gear – www.sitkagear.com – Finest technical gear on the planet.