Alaska Dall Sheep Hunting Gear List
Vast Alaska proudly supports Sitka Gear®™, the finest technical gear on the planet! We have been wearing it thin, it is unanimous that the stitching and wear is at the top of the field.
Take into consideration a few things; Alaska Dall Sheep Hunting Gear List is a guideline, these are personal views and should be taken with a grain of salt. Also, we have been around in the Chugach Range, I was born here. We know this list should get you through the thick and thin of the Hunt. But it is merely a stepping stone in your decision. I have come up through the ranks, I used to wear the clothes from the thrift store proudly. It is a game of chess, stay out of site and smell! I always like solids and i am still a simple man for plaid (it breaks up the body signature). My dad loved pendleton’s and we gave him shirts for Christmas. He has passed, and i inherited them and wore them out on my hunts. My point, dont take your SKIN as seriously as others, we will get it done! A hungry dog hunts harder than a fat lady sings. We are extremely happy that Sitka Gear took us under their wing. We also understand that you wear what you buy. Here are some finer points of the gear list…..
Boots – Boots fit your feet, try them on and make sure they work. I would never recommend resole-ing anything. When i climbed rock Dave Peg resoled all my shoes (he’s the best). You can stretch Rock Shoes, you cannot stretch Waffle Stompers as my mom called them. Buy a new pair if your lugs are worn. Sharp lugs work best in late season hunts. Remember, if you find a boot shell that fits you, buy a new pair when the lugs are worn. The other theories are bull! Dont become attached to a pair of smelly boots, plant some poppies in them. If they fit your feet, it does not take a lifetime of miles to break a new pair in. DISSOLVE YOUR ATTACHMENT TO YOUR OLD BOOTS! THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT THE GOOD OLD DAYS, BUT THOSE DAYS ARE GONE! Find the fit. Use the sock recommendation and a small tube of fast acting Tinactin and you will have a recipe for success. Fast Actin Tinactin under your Gobi Wigwams Sock Liners will make your feet feel dry in prolonged wet environments. We don’t care about your body or deodorant, if your feet feel good we can travel…….
Long Underwear – I like long underwear, I wear a pair or nothing for the hunting. I keep a set dry in my stash for sleeping, that is because i use a sleeping bag (30 degree 800 fill, that is the size of a pound of coffee). Climbing peaks and rock/ice in the Chugach Range you find that everything has a use. Dual purpose and nothing extraneous in your kit. Do you want to live like the prey that you seek? Wear the clothes on your back and wait for your food to grow or bring extraneous stuff into the field to make you feel like you are at your domicile. You decide, if you breed for success, you have taken into account we are going to come home heavier than you left. Wear a pair and keep a pair dry for sleeping, we are bringing home steak with big handles!
Rain Gear – Last but not forgotten, Gore Tex rain gear is a fallacy. You were “Born Wet, Get Used to It!”. It can rain and you can hydrostatically press water into most rain gear. It is part of the game, as i mentioned. Let it go, it is a 10 day hunt and i have never died from it and i will never die from it. We are here at Vast Alaska to make sure you never die from it. You will only become slightly miserable from it until you have a desirable outcome, which we provide. Embrace the chaos, it is as much of a part of the game as getting old. Let’s Hunt. There are some finer points to keep your kilt dry, but we can assist, that is why you hired us.
Differences Between Sheep & Goat – Implements of a Quick Kill. Wether you are a rifleman or a bowhunter there are some finer points. Sheep are harder than the modern man, they can take a joke and die reciting it to themselves. On the other hand, Goat can hear your joke and live to tell you the joke in your dreams. Let that sink in modern hunter!
- Sheep, I suggest a 270, 7MM, 300 Win Mag, 300 Ultra (160 – 180gr)
- Goat, I suggest a 7mm, 300 Win Mag, 300 Ultra for Goat (180gr)
- Sheep and Goat, Fixed Blade, Zwicki 1″ or equivalent. You aren’t going to have an expandable penetrate through 4-5″ of goat hair and heavy bone between ribs, do you want to eat, or chase irretrievable game? Practice in the wind. Off your normal stand, success is dependent on your fluidity. Visualize outside your norm.
Remember this is a back packing hunt and we will be on the move, camping in different locations. Extreme weight should be avoided. This Alaska Sheep Hunting Gear List should help prepare you in advance.
- Hunting License buy online for current hunting season at https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/Store/ Print it yourself.
- Locking Tag buy online https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/Store/ (allow time for delivery-mail, feel free to use our address for delivery, it speeds up the paperwork process when you arrive)
- Awarded Permit Paperwork
- Good Boots: I recommend Scarpa Wrangell, Lowa Tibet GTX, Schnees, Kennetrex
- Socks: 4 pairs wool socks, I prefer Darn Tough hiking
- Sock Liners: 4 pair Wigwam Gobi
- Long Underwear Top: Sitka Gear Core Lightweight Crew Long Sleeve. Sitka Gear Heavy Weight Hoody.
- Long Underwear Bottom: Sitka Gear Core Lightweight Bottoms. Sitka Gear Heavy Weight Bottoms.
- Pants: 1 pair Mountain Pants for Aug. – Sept. Hunts or 1 pair Sitka Timberline Pants for October Hunts.
- Jacket: Sitka Gear Traverse Cold Weather Hoody
- Raingear: Jacket and pants or bibs. Sitka Stormfront Jacket, Sitka Stormfront Pants, or Grunden Weather Watch Pant and Grunden Weather Watch Hooded.
- Overcoat: Synthetic parka with hood like the Sitka Gear Kelvin Lite Hoody or Barneys Brooks Super Cub Jacket Aug. – Sept. and Sitka Gear Kelvin Down WS Hoody or Barneys Brooks Range Jacket and Barneys Brooks Range Pants.for Oct. Archery Hunts,
- Gloves: 1 pair wool or fleece
- Hat: wool or fleece
- Ball Cap
- Headlamp: Tikka XP2, Black Diamond Spot or equivalent.
- Gaitors: 1 pair Sitka Gear StormFront Gaitors
- Water Bottles: 2 32 oz. H2O Bottles -or- 32oz. Gatorade jugs
- Sleeping Bag: 15°ƒ for Aug. – Sept. and 0°ƒ for October Archery Hunts
- Sleeping Pad Thermarest Ridgerest
- Binoculars: 10×40 with a Binocular Bra (harness system that hangs from your shoulders)
- Eye Protection: UV Sunglasses
- Rifle: 300 Win. Mag, 300WSM, 300 Ultra Mag., 7MM. 2 boxes of ammunition
- Backpack: frame or internal frame pack 6,000 cubic inches. Let us know if you need a recommendation.
- Trekking Poles, optional.
- Toiletries: medication, toothbrush, small toothpaste, etc
- Kahtoola Microspikes: We have loaners or buy at http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/
If you stick to this gear list you will have everything you need. The guide has a Satellite phone or Inreach for emergencies, Aircraft Radio and a first aid kit. All good Food, Stove, Fuel, Water filters and tents will be provided.
Be advised cotton clothing does not wick away rain and sweat from the skin, it requires too much energy for you to get dry. Synthetic or wool fibers ONLY. Ditch your underwear fetish, its wasted space, its your space we dont need to know.
Sitka Gear – www.sitkagear.com – Finest technical gear on the planet. I believe they put a person on the moon.