This gear list should help prepare you in advance. Temperatures range from 32f – 60f.
- License & Tag: Please coincide with us.
- Hip Boots: I recommend “The Big Chief, insulated made by Lacrosse
- Good Boots: I recommend Lowa sheep hunter, Scarpa Liskammi GTX or LaSportiva Glacier
- Socks: 4 pairs wool socks, I prefer Darn Tough®™ hiking
- Sock Liners: 4 pair Wigwam Gobis®™
- Long Underwear: 2 pair top and bottom; wool or synthetic
- Pants: 1 pair durable synthetic or Schoeller fabric equivalent
- Shirt: 2 Long sleeve, wool or synthetic (midweight)
- Jacket: Fleece
- Raingear: Jacket and pants or bibs (be sure the rain pants fit over the Hip Boots.)
- Overcoat: Synthetic parka with hood
- Gloves: 2 pair wool or fleece
- Hat: wool or fleece
- Headlamp: Tikka XP2 or Black Diamond Spot, NO FLASHLIGHTS
- Gaitors: 1 pair of Outdoor Research gaiters or equivalent
- Water Bottles: 2 32 oz. H2O Bottles -or- 32oz. Gatorade jugs
- Sleeping pad: 1 Thermarest Ridgerest.
- Sleeping Bag: 15°ƒ or lower (Synthetic)
- Binoculars: 10×40
- Eye Protection: UV Sunglasses
- Rifle: 375 or larger. 2 boxes of ammunition
- Backpack: frame or internal frame pack 3,500 – 5,000 cubic inches
- Toiletries: medication, toothbrush, small toothpaste, etc
If you stick to this gear list you will have everything you need.
Be advised I will not allow any cotton clothing worn in the field. Cotton does not wick rain and sweat away from the skin, it requires too much energy for you to get dry. Synthetic or wool fibers ONLY.
Barney’s Sports Chalet (www.barneyssports.com) They are good outlet for hunting gear. They are located in mid-town Anchorage, Alaska. They are avid Alaskan hunters and suppliers since 1963. If you need help with anything they are well versed and will give you advice or direction. Website sales and support.
CaptivateM (www.captivatemoutdoors.com) The sales team, Mike and Martha are avid hunters, giving you tailored advice on equipment for the objective you have in mind. Alaska based, with a broad spectrum of gear choices. Website sales and support.
REI is another source for much of the equipment. Shopping is available online or they are conveniently located down the street from Barney´s.